Fraud Prevention Tips
Katahdin Trust Company will NEVER call, text or send emails asking you to provide sensitive banking information and you shouldn't respond to any attempts requesting that type of information.
It's important to always access our website by typing in the URL (www.katahdintrust.com) and never access the website from a link provided in an email.
- Never give out your Social Security number, account number, or personal credit information over the phone unless you initiate the call to a number that you know is legitimate.
- Tear up or shred receipts, bank statements and unused credit card offers before throwing them away.
- Keep an eye out for missing mail. If a statement, check or bill is missing, someone may have changed your mailing address.
- Don't mail bills from your own mailbox. Drop them in a post box or at the post office.
- Review your monthly accounts regularly for any unauthorized charges.
- Order copies of your credit report annually, and report and correct mistakes.
- Choose to do business with companies you know are reputable, especially on the Internet.
- Keep your browser's padlock or key icon active when doing business online.
- Don't open e-mail from unknown sources.
- Use virus detection and anti-spyware software, and keep the definitions updated.
- Protect your PINs (don't carry them in your wallet!) and passwords. Use a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters and change them periodically.
- Don't carry your Social Security card in your wallet.
- Report any suspected fraud to us immediately, and notify the fraud divisions of the three major credit bureaus: Trans Union (800) 916-8800, Experian (888) 397-3742 and Equifax (800) 525-6285.